sexta-feira, maio 05, 2006

Sexual Suicide

See just this Post & Comments / 1 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Next, Back, Thread Ahead: None Yet, Thread Back: None.Thread Ahead: Virginia Slims, Thread Back: Entrenched Mediocrity.

Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarA book by George Gilder written in 1973 - I read it sometime in the early 80's, trying to get some perspective. In short (as I remember it): women always owned all the stuff that matters (birth and the breasts that go with it), and men owned the world, and this was not such a bad balance of power - and there will be hell to pay now that women have been given the world as well.

Gilder is understandably not well regarded among the left-libs - he's up for discussing intelligent design as well. On the other hand, he criticized Barry Goldwater which sorta puts him on the shady side of the street in the generally anti-intellectual United States. Broad strokes here, sorry, not where I am going with this.

Later on some time, must'a been the early 90's, I formed a negative opinion of Camille Paglia - can't remember why ... drinking a lot of beer in those days, reading newspapers in the afternoon, I can almost remember but not quite. Recently I have (finally) begun to read her - 'Break, Blow, Burn', a literary canon of sorts, thin edge of the wedge, and 'Vamps & Tramps', call it a pagan take on sexuality and feminism. And I am changing my opinion, but again, not where I am going.

Lo and behold, in her essay 'No Law in the Arena' I come across Gilder's theory! Stripped of its' moral overtones, simply stated as fact. ... I can't put my finger on it just now, later I will ...

That's it really, I managed to make one little connection, interspersed with reading Coetzee's 'The Life and Times of Michael K' - someone familliar with all of this ground will maybe understand.

As Pynchon says more than once, "Life is all you got!" Sometimes I get hung up on women getting about ten years more of it than me on average. This is a fact too, not mentioned that much and certainly not used as a show-stopping argument in the gender wars. Why is that? It seems to me that ten years of life should be able to be traded for something good? Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarBut there is no real negotiation going on is there? Grant you, from what I've seen of middle-age so far, maybe ten more years of old-age isn't worth much, still, ten years ... maybe you could finally get some perspective and become a fully realized being eh?

Tags: , , .
Posted maio 05, 2006 8:25 PM by Blogger Doug /  

Yes, finally got a chance to post somemore but it looks like it's not going to be easy. Love that "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." Can a price be put on such words? I'am familiar with the George Gilder that writes the Technology Report and books on expanding bandwith such as "Telecosm" but surely this is a different Gilder.