quarta-feira, março 08, 2006

Talking to Terrorists, Robin Soans

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Next, Back, Thread Ahead: Basque Peace - Alec Reid, Thread Back: Jolo Island.

Friday, March 17, 2006

I got the book in the mail today - I will post a book report when I have read it.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006

I saw this back in July of last year, but I was not in blog-mode at the time. Now I find it back in the news - a timely reminder for me. As the Canadian government dithers (I thought we got rid of Mr. Dithers?) over what to do about aid money going to Palestine now that the (democratically elected) government there does not please them. The Jewish lobby groups are pressuring Harper and MacKay to declare a full stop to aid - I understand their position. In the Letters-To-The-Editor section there are a few with what look like Islamic names applauding. What to do? This Hamas government doesn't please me either; as I do not have 25 million$ to give away maybe it is a moot point, but the question persists. I was surprised at the 25 million - that is less than 1$ a head!

The Globe Editorial weighs in with what looks to me like a rationalization of the position they would like to have but were afraid to spell out until Hamas made it easy with their intransigence.

It will be a fine line; carrot-and-stick on the one hand, and Iran/Egypt etc. still too stunned to pick up the aid ball and play it (which would probably settle the issue) on the other.

Meanwhile, for us mere insignificant protplasmic blobs it is hard to know what to do to help in any sense of the word whatsoever. Join the closet anti-semites and professional hand-wringers in the United Church? Use our Visa to donate to some NGO that claims to be doing something beyond feathering its nest?

Along comes Robin Soans with an actual thought ...

Founded in 1993, Out of Joint is a national and international touring theatre company dedicated to the production of new writing.

"I think talking to terrorists is the only way to beat them. I can’t understand why Tony didn’t understand that."



OJO 2005 Production of Talking to Terrorists, photographs: 1 2 3 4 5
Chipo Chung , Alex Hanson, Lloyd Hutchinson, Catherine Russell, Jonathan Cullen, Christopher Ettridge, Chris Ryman, June Watson, Alexander Hanson.

Toronto, Berkeley Street Theatre Upstairs, current production of The Arab-Israeli Cookbook, also by Robin Soans.
Directed by Joel Greenberg, with Victor Ertmanis, David Fox, Barbara Gordon, Mark McGrinder, Jeff Miller, Kimwun Perehinec and Maria Ricossa; presented by Studio 180 at Berkeley Street Theatre Upstairs till April 1, 2006.

Globe: The playwright who talks to terrorists, Kamal Al-Solaylee telephone interview with Soans, discussion of the genre, timing, issues.

Tags: , , .