domingo, dezembro 25, 2005

For unto us a child is born

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Next, Back.
paz
e
amor


For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9-6.

Pois já nos nasceu um menino, um filho se nos deu; o governo está sobre os seus ombros; e o seu nome será: Maravilhoso, Conselheiro, Deus Forte, Pai da Eternidade, Príncipe da Paz; Isaías 9:6

When the chorous singing Handel's Messiah gets to "WONDERFUL !", Christmas begins for me.

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to men. Or, "to all people" if you like, what ever.

Merry Christmas to anyone who passes this way, and to EVERYONE (every single one).


"God bless us every one!" said Tiny Tim, the last of all.

Good King Wenceslas - John Mason Neale

Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even.
Brightly shone the moon that night, though the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight, gathering winter fuel.

“Hither, page, and stand by me, if you knowst it, telling,
Yonder peasant, who is he? What and where his dwelling?”
“Sire, he lives a good league hence, underneath the mountain,
Right against the forest fence, by Saint Agnes’ fountain.”

“Bring me food and bring me wine, bring me pine logs hither,
You and I will see him dine, when we bear them thither.”
Page and monarch, forth they went, forth they went together,
Through the cold wind’s wild lament and the bitter weather.

“Sire, the night is darker now, and the wind blows stronger,
Fails my heart, I know not how; I can go no longer.”
“Mark my footsteps, my good page, tread thou in them boldly,
You shall find the winter’s rage freeze your blood less coldly.”

In his master’s steps he trod, where the snow lay dinted;
Heat was in the very sod which the saint had printed.
Therefore, Christian men, be sure, wealth or rank possessing,
You who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.

Click to Enlarge / Click para Aumentar

This is, to me, the very best carol. It never fails to move me, even some tinny midi file. I sometimes change the last two lines to:

Therefore, Christian men be sure, love the Lord thy maker
And as thou dost love thyself, love also thy neighbour.


Tags: , , , , .