quarta-feira, janeiro 31, 2007

Watchtower

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Up, Back, Thread Ahead: None Yet, Thread Back: None.

This on blogging in the Globe today: 31/01/07, Bill Graveland, Laments lonely life of bloggers, (Archive).

"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief. Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth, and none of them along the line know what any of it is worth." Bob Dylan, All Along the Watchtower, 1967.

Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarBob's statements, like this one, "know what any of it is worth"; are more like questions. What is anything 'worth'? What's 'worth' mean? Like dignity - he takes it into a conundrum.

I sit at the Nova Esperança drinking beer and smiling out loud at the pregnant Brasilian women walking by, naked tummies entirely flaunted, naked from loin to breast - wonderful! As I see it this is all coming to an end; call me what you like; and like the guy says about bloggers - they get stuck in the virtual and are often unable to formulate real actions. So it goes. I still take delight in the small moments I witness on the sidewalk at the corner of Gavião Peixoto & Alvarez de Azevedo, the occasional word from Pelem the bar-man, sometimes a smile.

A-and I remember wondering what the Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses were on about with their Watchtower - which had a physical presence for me as a child in Toronto where there is an actual neon-lit tower (or used to be) up on the 401 near Jane Street.

That and a few details that have slipped through: Ken Kesey, Sometimes a Great Notion, and the two of them in the water, one trapped under a log, and dying finally in a gasp of laughter; and Oscar Wilde, a story Iremember being told was his favourite, about a man with blood red eyes following women through the streets (?). Neither of these found anywhere on the net - yet.

Dengue fever reported in São Gonçalo, not far from here; and the mosquitoes nipping my feet and ankles as I type, but someone tells me they are not Aedes aegypti - the difference is supposed to be that Aedes aegypti have white horizontal stripes (rings) on their legs which regular mosquitoes do not; I guess you have to catch one to find out.

01/02/07, Austin Mitchell, Treatment of model family makes me ashamed to be a Labour MP,
(Archive), Austin Mitchell personal site.

A far-from-peaceful demonstration in Bangladesh early in January:
Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para Aumentar

Tags: , , , , , , , .
Down.