segunda-feira, julho 10, 2006

Ruby on Rails

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Next, Back, Thread Ahead: None Yet, Thread Back: Blog Navigation.

I have been a programmer, 'application developer' since 1969 - started with Fortran and Cobol and IBM/360 Assembler, went on from there and made my living at it for ... 35 years and more, did pretty well. But I got stuck doing MS Access 97 for too many years and somehow lost the plot. When I came back to pick up the threads this spring ... Trauma! I tried the university, the community college, the train-for-profit crowd - what they had to offer was a joke it seemed to me, make-work. I tried to pick up Microsoft's Visual Web Developer and SqlServer, even hired some 'consultants' to train me - total washout. Seemed it was like the Eskimo said to the Scotsman, "You can't get there from here."

Support: "Type dir, space, a, colon."
Customer: "With a space after 'space'?"

These are un-cut rubies:
Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para Aumentar

Rubric, the word; the Stones song; the 7-ball in snooker; a woman's name; and being (as they say) 'in the pink'. The last three can be closely related, but that's another story.

Hmmmmm ... and there is Ruby on Rails, and there is Instant Rails. I went first for the 'Instant' and so far I can say that it actually works, first time, minimal fiddling required (and what fiddling there is is well documented); they even packaged-in an interface to the MySql database which operates more-or-less intuitively, at least for me.

I bought David Black's book, Ruby On Rails, which basically doesn't work (which is why I had to find out about the MySql interface). Maybe it is just as well to plod at it from first principles.

... to be continued ...

Tags: , , , , , .