domingo, fevereiro 04, 2007

Fugue, Yeeee Haaaah!

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Up, Down, Thread Ahead: None, Thread Back: None.

You could call Johann Sebastian Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, ... well, a 'fugue'. Not a rage of age - being a work of his early to middle years as a composer - but it has a quality that reminds me of King Lear on the heath,
"Howl, howl, howl, howl! O, you are men of stones: had I your tongues and eyes, I'd use them so that heaven's vault should crack."

A-and there is Dylan Thomas,
"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.", and so on ... Kurt Vonnegut giving God the finger made of Ice-Nine.

Rex's latest brought this all to mind: Rex Murphy, Look who let the dogs out, (Archive).

And really, like Slothrop's,
"Fuck you", rage is a good all-round response, doesn't always work but always brings a modicum of relief. As every good-old-boy knows, denial is the best tactic.

Given the state of the world I simply propose denial with a smile and a toast to the engineers. Like Major King Kong (Slim Pickens) in Dr. Strangelove who rode the bomb down:

Yeeee Haaaah!

A-and we'll go out with at least three of the lovely Pointer Sisters singin' Fairytale:


I'll pack up all my things and walk away
I don't want to hear another word you have to say
I've been waitin' for so long
I just found out there's something wrong
Nothing will get better if I stay

There's no need to explain anymore
I tried my best to love you
Now I'm walking out the door
You used me, you deceived me
And you never seemed to need me
But I'll bet you won't forget me when I go
Oh no no no

Seems I've been lost in a dream
Pretending that you care
But now I've opened up my eyes
And found it's all been just a great big fairytale

I've been lovin' you so long
Don't think I'd even know how to forget you
But now the way that things have been
I think I'm better off alone
Than to be with you

You don't love me it's plain to see
You played around, you broke my heart
Told me we sould never part
But that was untrue
So what else can I do but move on

I been lovin' you so long
Don't think I'd even know how to forget you
But now the way that things have been
I think I'm better off alone
Than to be with you

There's no need to explain anymore
I tried my best to love you
Now I'm walking out the door
You used me, you deceived me
And you never seemed to need me
But I'll bet you won't forget me when I go
Oh no no no

Seems I've been lost in a dream
Pretending you were mine
Someday you'll open up your eyes
And realize that a good woman's hard to find

Move on, got to move on
Move on, got to move on
Move on, got to move on
Hit it Nellie
I got to move on ...


One final note here. The operative phrase for me in the following Globe article was,
"A place where destructive habits betray a wholesale loss of self-respect." From the Globe: 03/02/07, Margaret Philp, A slap in the face of every Canadian, (Archive).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , .
Down.