domingo, maio 20, 2007

The 11th Hour

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Up, Down.

Annie Leibovitz Leonardo DiCaprio JökulsárlónAnnie Leibovitz Leonardo DiCaprio JökulsárlónThe 11th Hour - DiCaprio's 'Documentary'.

"The environment is going to survive. We're the ones that may not survive or we may survive in a world that we don't particularly want to live in."
       Kenny Ausubel.


OK, the incident: 05/07, Eco-Hero, The Man of the Hour, Leonardo DiCaprio: actor, activist, Source.
A-and Rex Murphy's response: 18/05/07, Rex Murphy, The eco-joke is on Hollywood, Source.

Hard to get a grip. 'Polysemous' (many meanings), says Frye about the Bible (a wonderful word harking back to semen among other things). A-and not just the Bible either, I'd say ...

Al Gore, a rich man, living in great comfort; Leonardo Dicaprio, ditto. Easy enough to focus on the hypocrisy, the double standards, the obvious. Gore is fronting seven simultaneous concerts (including one with Madonna?), Live Earth; Dicaprio is presenting a bunch of talking heads (looks like) with some good credentials and some good sound bytes.

The quote above needs qualification of course. The emotional impact of 'we don't particularly want to live in' is considerably reduced if you consider that these changes will take place over generations, and what looks lousy to us now may very well just be commonplace for our grand-children, maybe our children. They may very well not complain very much.

But I find Rex's hee-haw donkey braying ... unsettling. He is a clever fellow, a Rhodes Scholar, an alcoholic I am told, maybe an ex-alcoholic by this time, a Newfie, and so on ... my generation more-or-less. I like him well enough to wonder how it all feels.

A taxi driver said to me the other day: What about the Lord's prayer? Pai Nosso, Our Father? What about, 'Seja feita a Vossa vontade assim na Terra como no Céu.' / 'Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.' (?) Good question I thought.

[effing M$ software hung-up again, took me ten minutes to get back to an old post of these prayers Ash Wednesday / quarta-feira de cinzas]

The taxi driver assumed, as I do, that whatever God's will may be it is surely not for us to wantonly ruin the earth. If you believe in God or not, the coming changes have to look like a judgement, yes indeed they do.

So, I have been trying to just let it all go by while I see what to do; don't panic! (says the computer in Hitchhiker's Guide); be kind, says the Profeta de Gentileza, repeating once again the Golden Rule. Good advice.

nANII don't think governments any bigger than municipalities are going to do anything very effective about climate change, because really, the scale of their operations and the mentality required at that scale make real paradigm shift changes unlikely; and anyway organizations do not have Spirit, individuals do. I think it is up to individuals to change themselves, bit by bit as humans sometimes do, in supportive association maybe with a few friends and neighbours.

The taxi driver and I agreed in the end, rir pra não chorar / laugh so not to cry, and parted, laughing.

In the Nani cartoon the sign says, 'Speak to the driver only when necessary', and the passenger says, 'I love you.' Auden said, 'Love one another or die.' Same message sort-of but I like the cartoon better.


On re-reading this I see that I have not included the essential - that I believe that the 'solution' is a spiritual transformation and that nothing less will do it. I have been reading Northrop Frye in the last few weeks, who suggests that the spiritual and natural worlds are coeval, that they exist simultaneously. Stated like that it is ... well, obvious (to me) that it could be no other way. And he implies that realizing it is as easy as reaching out and recognizing it, "Our life in the resurrection, then, is already here, and waiting to be recognized."

I do assume that ressurection includes redemption :-)

Tags: , , , , , , .
Down.