domingo, julho 23, 2006

Rose Corrêa da Silva

See just this Post & Comments / 0 Comments so far / Post a Comment /   Home
Next, Back, Thread Ahead: None Yet, Thread Back: None.
See Also: Eldorado, and Sem Teto, Sem Terra, Inmigrantes Ilegales.

Two documentaries by Tetê Moraes that I saw recently:
Terra para Rose / Land for Rose (1987), and
O Sonho de Rose - 10 Anos Depois / Rose's Dream - 10 Years Later (1997).

Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarIn Brazil, 'Rose' is pronounced 'Rosie', trailing vowels are often expressed. This is interesting to me because Rosie is the english diminutive or nick-name of Rose. A small linguistic infolding that appeals to me.

These films touched me very deeply. Watching them I wept, and not only for Rose and the others portrayed, but for myself as well. All of that would be a long story to tell - I will do what I can.

This post is really about media distortions; how truth sometimes gets through despite being used to advance personal agendas; how truth (if that is what it is) can even wiggle through more-or-less clever propaganda machines. Something like truth anyway, something close enough for me to spend some time here trying to make it clear.

Tetê Moraes shows herself as a biassed feminist, manipulator, and opportunist. That she reveals this so forthrightly could be naivete or humility, or it could be arrogance, who knows? I don't know, but my next thought was that the people like Paul who wrote the scriptures were also undoubtedly human, flawed, selfish and what not.

Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarI found this recent picture of her, taken in 2005 I think, not lookin' bad for a 62 year old eh? 'Tetê' is a diminutive as well, for Teresa, though it does not complete a circle like Rosie does.

I guess I will have to find a way to grab some images from the film to show you Rose herself. (Easier said than done! eventually got a thing called FrameShots.)

I was going to go on and on - I'm not. Two of these look very similar, you may think I grabbed the same shot twice; I didn't.

Click to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para AumentarClick to Enlarge / Click para Aumentar

These films are powerful because they show us personalities over a period of ten years; because looking for the promised land is what drives all of us one way or another, Lebanon and Israel as much as Brasil, even Canada, even Newfoundland; because because because ... have a look for yourself, the DVDs have english subtitles, I got mine on eBay (search on 'Terra para Rose'), they have it at South American Way too but I have never dealt there so no recommendation.

as letras de Assentamento de Chico Buarque:

Quando eu morrer, que me enterrem na beira do chapadão-contente
com minha terra
Cansado de tanta guerra
Crescido de coração

Zanza daqui Zanza pra acolá
Fim de feira, periferia afora
A cidade não mora mais em mim
Francisco, Serafim Vamos embora
Embora
Ver o capim
Ver o baobá
Vamos ver a campina quando flora
A piracema, rios contravim
Binho, Bel, Bia, Quim
Vamos embora

Quando eu morrer
Cansado de guerra
Morro de bem
Com a minha terra:
Cana, caqui
Inhame, abóbora
Onde só vento se semeava outrora
Amplidão, nação, sertão sem fim
Oh, Manuel, Migüilim
Vamos embora

Zanza daqui
Zanza pra acolá
Fim de feira, periferia afora
A cidade não mora mais em mim
Francisco, Serafim
Vamos embora
Embora
Ver o capim
Ver o baobá
Vamos ver a campina quando flora
A piracema, rios contravim
Binho, Bel, Bia, Quim
Vamos embora

Quando eu morrer
Cansado de guerra
Morro de bem
Com a minha terra:
Cana, caqui
Inhame, abóbora
Onde só vento se semeava outrora
Amplidão, nação, sertão sem fim
Oh, Manuel, Migüilim
Vamos embora

Quando eu morrer, que me enterrem na beira do chapadão-contente
com minha terra
Cansado de tanta guerra
Crescido de coração

Estejam bem / Be well.

Tags: , , , .